Do not delete the VeraCrypt container or lose your password. If you do, the files you've placed in the container can never be opened again.
- Open VeraCrypt by double-clicking the VeraCrypt icon on your desktop, or by selecting it from your programs menu.
- Select a drive letter from the list you will be shown. This will be the drive letter to which the VeraCrypt container will be mounted. Drive letters in use, such as the C: drive, will not be shown!
- Click Select File.
- In the file selector, browse to the VeraCrypt container file, single-click it and then click Open.
- In the VeraCrypt window, click Mount. The password prompt dialog window should open.
- Enter your password in the dialog window and then click OK. You should then access your VeraCrypt container.
- The VeraCrypt container is entirely encrypted (including file names, folders, free space, etc.). You can save, copy or move files to this container and they will be encrypted on the fly as they are being written. If you open a file stored in the container, the file will be automatically decrypted. You may also browse to the container the way you normally browse on any hard drive or USB key.
- To lock the container and make it inaccessible without the password, select it from the list of containers and click Dismount.
Adding VERACrypt Volumes as Favorites
- Open the VeraCrypt application.
- Mount the VeraCrypt volume (see above).
- Select the Favorites menu in the top of the VeraCrypt window.
- In the Favorites Volumes window, optionally give your favorite a name by adding it to the Label field and click OK.
- You will now be able to mount your favorite volume from the Favorites drop-down menu.