Use Microsoft Security Essentials to help guard against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software. It provides real-time protection for your home or personal PCs. Microsoft Security Essentials is freely available to any one using a Microsoft Windows* XP, Vista or 7 computer.
*A similar product called Windows Defender is included with Windows 8. There is no need to install Microsoft Security Essentials on a Windows 8 computer.
Installing Microsoft Security Essentials
- Download the version appropriate for your operating system.
- Double-click the downloaded mseinstall.exe file to launch it. (Note: Windows Vista and Windows 7 users will need to click Yes on the User Account Control dialog).
- Click Next on the welcome screen.
- Click I accept to accept the License Terms and continue.
- Either Join or Opt-out of the Customer Experience Program and then click Next. You can find more about the Customer Experience Improvement Program on the Microsoft website.
- Check the box to turn on the Windows Firewall.
- If you have other anti-virus software installed, please remove it before continuing. If your computer is free of other anti-virus software, you may click the Install button.
- Microsoft Security Essentials will update itself and initiate a virus scan.
- After the update and initial scan have completed, the status bar will change to green. This indicates that your computer is protected.
If you need assistance, please contact the Help Desk at (269) 387-4357 (387-HELP), option 1.