Windows Defender is malware protection that is included with and built into Windows 8 and Windows 10. This software helps identify and remove viruses, spyware, and other malicious software. Windows Defender runs in the background and notifies you when you need to take specific action. However, you can use it anytime to scan for malware if your computer isn’t working properly or if you clicked a suspicious link online or in an email message.
*A similar product called Microsoft Security Essentials is available for Windows 7 and Windows Vista computers. Please see below for installation instructions.
Enabling Windows Defender (Windows 10, Windows 8)
Windows Defender should be enabled on Windows 8 and Windows 10 by default if no other anti-virus software is installed. If not, please use the following instructions:
- Open Windows Defender by clicking the Start button. In the search box, type Defender, and then, in the list of results, click Windows Defender.
- On the Home tab, click Turn On.
Installing Microsoft Security Essentials (Windows 7, Windows Vista)
- Download the version appropriate for your operating system.
- Double-click the downloaded mseinstall.exe file to launch it. (Note: Windows Vista and Windows 7 users will need to click Yes on the User Account Control dialog).
- Click Next on the welcome screen.
- Click I accept to accept the License Terms and continue.
- Either Join or Opt-out of the Customer Experience Program and then click Next. You can find more about the Customer Experience Improvement Program on the Microsoft website.
- Check the box to turn on the Windows Firewall.
- If you have other anti-virus software installed, please remove it before continuing. If your computer is free of other anti-virus software, you may click the Install button.
- Microsoft Security Essentials will update itself and initiate a virus scan.
- After the update and initial scan have completed, the status bar will change to green. This indicates that your computer is protected.
If you need assistance, please contact the Help Desk at (269) 387-4357 (387-HELP), option 1.