Here are some ways you can work to improve your relationships:
- Practice active listening. When we listen to other people, we’re often really thinking about what we want to say next. Instead of focusing on your own thoughts, practice listening to your partner with your whole attention and empathy.
- Support your partner. Offer encouragement when he or she is facing a difficult or challenging situation.
- Laugh together. Find the humor in tough situations or make everyday life funny.
- Find time for each other and ways to express your affection and care. Life gets busy, and it can be easy to take your partner for granted. Make time to spend together and find ways to show your partner how much that person means to you.
- Communicate. Let one another know what your needs are. Don’t assume your partner can read your mind or that acting a certain way will express your thoughts or emotions. Put words to your experiences and share them with your partner – good or bad.