The hot weather that we've been having makes it absolutely crucial for us to stay hydrated. Our bodies are made up of about 60% water, so here are some tips to staying hydrated that you may not be aware of.
- When you are thirsty, your body is sensing that you are on your way to becoming dehydrated. This is a sign that you should hydrate as soon as possible.
- Just as you can be under-hydrated, you can also be over-hydrated. Too much of something good can be just as fatal as something dangerous. When you drink too much water, this can lead to something called hypoatremia (low blood sodium). Although this condition may be rare, it is possible. Make sure you are drinking water to the point of satisfaction and not to the point of feeling full.
- Sports drinks are not necessary for the general public, unless exercising for extended periods. Many people will grab a gatorade or another sports drink instead of water. Drinking sports drinks when they are not needed is basically just taking in excess calories and sugar without a purpose.
- There are many foods that you can eat that are actually good sources of water. Fruits such as celery, cucumber, and watermelon. Fruits have a higher water concentration than vegetables, however, fruits and vegetables are both great ways to get extra hydration.
- If you do not like the taste of regular water, you can always favor it with mint, lemon, lime, or a mixture of berries.