Holidays, and winter parties can be full of food and opportunities to overdo it. Here are some strategies for healthy eating any time of the year.
- Don’t skip meals. Before heading out to a holiday party, snack on raw vegetables or fruit to help fill up and provide your body with healthy nutrients. This will also help you to avoid over-eating out of hunger.
- Take a good look at the buffet before filling your plate. Plan your plate—choose small portions of your favorites and skip other foods you don’t like as much to avoid over-indulging. Try to include vegetables and fruits to help keep your plate balanced.
- Eat until you are satisfied. Savor and enjoy your favorite holiday treats, but be mindful of what your body is telling you, and stop eating before you’re stuffed.
- Plan time for exercise. Exercise helps relieve holiday stress and can help keep you healthy as you indulge in holiday treats. Even small amounts of exercise can be stress relieving. Try taking just a 10- or 15-minute brisk walk.
- And don’t forget, you can always bring your own healthy dish to a holiday gathering.
Need more help with food issues? We offer these services: