Adjusting to College Life
Being the new kid on the block can be hard. The great news is that there are thousands of other new kids, and everyone is worried about the same thing! Western Michigan University is a big school, filled with lots of students just waiting to meet you. Whether you’ve had the same best friend since kindergarten or different friends every year, here are some tips you can use.
- Put yourself out there! There are lots of great places to get out and meet your fellow students, such as hall events, RSO meetings, theatre performances, and more!
- Put on a happy face! Make eye contact and smile at other people to show them you are friendly. They’ll appreciate it.
- Have conversation starters ready. The best way to get someone talking is to ask questions, so start by asking someone where they’re from, what they did over the summer, or how they like Kalamazoo so far. Listen to their responses and then ask more questions.
- Join in! There are plenty of student organizations, intramural teams, and other groups to join in. The best way to meet people like you is to find people with common interests. Believe us, there’s something out there for everybody from AdClub to Zombies vs. Humans.
- Don’t rely on alcohol. While some students say alcohol helps them relax and talk to others, too much alcohol might cause you to say or do something you later regret. 97 percent of WMU students prefer to be friends with someone who drinks moderately, rarely, or not at all. (Really, we did a survey!) What kind of friend do you want to be?