Proper nutrition is a key to physical health, emotional well-being and academic success. What we eat impacts our health today, tomorrow and far into the future. A healthy diet can make us feel good, increase our resistance to illness and help prevent chronic diseases such as heart disease, diabetes and some forms of cancer.
A registered dietitian is available by appointment to help you assess your eating patterns and assist you in designing a food management plan.
Specialty areas include:
- Nutrition for optimal health
- Medical nutrition therapy for heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure and other health concerns
- Eating disorders
- Sports nutrition
- Vegetarian food planning
- Weight management
- Computerized nutrition assessment
There is a charge to see the dietitian (approximately $50/15 minutes; an initial appointment is usually 1 hour) so we strongly recommend that you call your insurance company to check on details of your coverage. Here are questions that can help you get the answers you need before scheduling an appointment.
- Call the customer service number on your insurance card (usually found on the back.)
- Tell the representative that you have questions regarding whether or not nutrition services are covered by your company – specifically:
- Is a referral or pre-authorization required?
a. If yes, ask how this should be done.
b. If no, proceed with question 4.
- Is an order or prescription required?
a. If yes, from which licensed professionals is an order/prescription accepted? MD? DO? PA? etc.
b. If no, proceed with question 5.
- Is the diagnosis code V65.3 accepted? If not, which codes are?
- Are the procedure codes 97802 and 97803 accepted? If not, which codes are?
- Are the charges applied to my deductible? How much is my deductible?
- Is there a copay? How much?
- Is there a limit on the number of visits or appointments?
If you have questions or concerns about this procedure or the answers that you receive call the insurance department at (269) 387-4303.
If you are ready to make an appointment with the dietitian call (269) 387-3263.