What if Someone Needs Help Online?
If you see someone online who is suicidal, there are several steps you can take to help this person:
- Take his/her words seriously and respond with compassion
- Encourage him/her to reach out for help to a friend, family member, counselor, clergy and other community members
- A helpful resource – Encourage him or her to call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline (LIFELINE) at 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Tell him/her the LIFELINE is available 24/7 for anyone in suicidal crisis anywhere in the United States.
- If you would like assistance the LIFELINE is also available to provide information about helping someone contemplating suicide. You can also visit the LIFELINE website by clicking on the link above.
- If the person online is saying he/she is going to kill him or herself at that moment or is in the process of attempting suicide, please try to find his/her location and call the local police or 911.
*SOURCE: Reproduced from the Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Retrieved on March 21, 2010 from http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org