Graduate Student Make a Difference Award 2017
Our Graduate Student Make a Difference Award is a peer to peer award that recognizes outstanding grads who make a difference in the lives of others at WMU. In addition, this year we would like to recognize the outstanding work that WMU staff members are doing for graduate students in their respective departments.
To nominate a graduate student or a staff member, please submit the following information and a letter of support to firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Your name.
2. The nominee’s name.
3. Program or department (e.g. MS chemistry).
4. A letter of support of why the student or staff member is deserving of the recognition.
*Please refer to the below eligibility requirements to aid in the nomination.
The following are requirements for a student to be nominated.
1. Currently enrolled in a graduate program at Western Michigan University.
2. Have complete at least one semester of their study here at Western.
3. Have satisfactory progress toward degree completion.
The following are requirements for a staff member to be nominated.
1. Currently working for WMU as a staff member non-faculty.
2. Have worked for the University at least 1 year.
3. To have worked with graduate students in some capacity.
The following examples, although not all inclusive, can be used as a guide to describe the nominee’s commitment to outstanding service to WMU and the community:
1. Projecting a positive attitude.
2. Promoting a positive image of the department, college, and university.
3. Providing outstanding voluntary services to graduate and undergraduate students.
4. Volunteering to serve on department, college, and university committees.
5. Giving back to the community.
6. Starting an organization for fellow graduate students.
Nominations are due March 17, 2017, at 5 p.m. The nominator (student, faculty, or staff) must email a letter of support to email@example.com with “Make a Difference Award 2017” in the subject line. Nominations can be accepted from each of the academic colleges, offices, and institutes listed below. The Graduates Student Association will inform the candidate if they are a recipient of an award. Up to one award will be presented to a student in each of the areas. Similarly, up to three WMU staff members will be selected to receive an award.
* College of arts and sciences: social and behavioral sciences
* College of arts and sciences: sciences and mathematics
* College of arts and sciences: humanities and fine arts
* College of education and human development: teaching-related programs
* College of education and human development: non-teaching related programs
* College of engineering and applied sciences
* College of health and human services
* Haworth college of business
* Haenicke institute for global education
* Extended university programs
* Office of military and veterans affairs
Each awardee will be invited to attend the Association's “Evening of Excellence and Award Ceremony” as an honorary guest and will be allowed to bring one guest. The event will take place on Friday, April 7, 2017, at 7 p.m. at the Radisson plaza hotel, downtown Kalamazoo.