Licensure and Certification Grant

As part of our vision and commitment to support the academic excellence of Western Michigan University graduate students, this year we have created a new type of funding opportunity. Now, our graduate students have the chance to apply for a grant that focuses on professional certifications and licensure. With this initiative we are encouraging our graduate students to enrich their knowledge, better their resumes and boost their job opportunities.

Here are the details:

1- How does it work? The certification or licensure must require the graduate student to pass a test to receive the accreditation of completion. If the certification or licensure, the graduate student is interested in, fulfills that requirement, then they have to start by emailing a funding request to the Graduate Financial Allocation Committee. This application must contain all the documents listed below, and it ought to be submitted at least 1 month before the test. If approved, the student is responsible for requesting and paying for their examination. Moreover, once the certification is obtained, the Association will reimburse them for the amount paid, or up to $300. Please, keep in mind that in order to be reimbursed, you must submit your receipts within 60 days after having obtained the certification or licensure. Otherwise, we will not disburse the money. In addition, if the student fails to pass the test, they will not be reimbursed. It is important to understand that reimbursements will go through your Western account. And, in the event that there is not any unpaid balance, account services will issue a check with the amount granted.

2- Who qualifies? All current graduate students in good standing who have completed least six graduate-level credits at Western Michigan University. Graduate students are considered ineligible if they have been benefited with any other grant provided by the Graduate College or the Association. 

3- What types of certifications and licensure apply? All professional certifications and licensures that require examination in order to obtain the certificate are considered in this category.

4- How can I apply? Please follow this link to submit your application Certification Grant Application Form. Keep in mind that you must submit your request by the first day of the month in which you want your application to be considered for funding. The applicant will be notified of the decision via email within the first two weeks after having submitted their request. Applications are open all year round until funds are depleted.

5- How much funding can one get? We will cover up to $300. If the certification or licensure exceeds this amount, the student is responsible to cover the rest. If the certification costs less, the Association will disburse only the amount paid by the student.

6- How many times can I apply? Students can apply as many times as they want. Nevertheless, once funds have been granted, they will not be eligible for future funding, even if they fail to be reimbursed. Once a student has applied, their application is open until the end of the semester in which they apply.

7- When is this funding available? $2,000 will be available each term fall, summer I and II (consider one term combined) and spring for a total of three terms. This amount will be adjusted as needed to seize as many graduate students as possible.

8- What is the selection process? Applications will be reviewed by the Committee. The ones that meet the criteria above indicated will be awarded the grant, in the form previously explained. In the event that we receive more grant-deserving applications than the budget can afford, the Committee will reselect based on the following criteria:

1) The highest GPAs

2) The highest number of credits completed at WMU

If you have any question regarding this or any other funding opportunity provided by this Association, please do not hesitate to contact us at

Your voice at Western Michigan University!