Western Michigan University offers several scholarships and awards throughout the year that encourage students to better acquaint themselves with life and culture outside the United States, further develop a foreign language and begin their journey to becoming global citizens.
Please pay close attention to the eligibility requirements for each award, as not all students are eligible for all awards.
- College of Arts and Sciences International Study Scholarship
This scholarship is offered twice a year with deadlines on Feb. 15 and Oct. 15. Be sure to review the application requirements prior to submitting all materials to the College of Arts and Sciences Dean's Office. Begin your application early to allow time to collect all required materials, including a sponsor form to be completed by a faculty member. While you must state your intended study abroad program, you may apply for this scholarship even if you have not yet been accepted into that program. Feel free to meet with our academic advisor if you would like your application reviewed prior to submitting it.
- President’s Grant for Study Abroad
- Lee Honors College scholarships
- Haenicke Institute for Global Education Study Abroad Scholarship
- Gilman International Scholarship
- Fulbright for WMU Students
- Critical Language Scholarship (U.S. State Department funded summer language institute - Non-WMU program)
Scholarships and Awards
If you have an additional major or minor in another department, you may be eligible for scholarships and awards offered by that department. Please visit the appropriate departmental website for more information. As some of you are also majoring or minoring in a foreign language, be sure to see what scholarships and awards the departments of World Languages and Literatures and Spanish have to offer.