- Ph.D., Political Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1993
- International political economy
- International relations
- International institutions and regionalism
- Latin American politics
- The politics of finance in emerging markets
- Foreign aid as foreign policy
- Curricular and pedagogical movements in the global studies field
Dr. Laura Hastings formerly served as the director of global and international studies at Western Michigan University. Hastings joined the University in spring 2014 after teaching and holding administrative positions with the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Carnegie Mellon University and the University of Pittsburgh. She now works as a political science faculty member with Georgia State University-Atlanta.
Hastings has developed and run interdisciplinary programs in global studies, international relations and European Union studies. Her teaching interests span topics in comparative political economy, including banking and finance, regional integration and multinational corporations. She has led study abroad programs to Peru, Ireland and Nicaragua and has been active for many years with the United Nations Association and its programming.