Gender and women's studies students at Western Michigan University are actively involved in campus activities outside the classroom. Several registered student organizations and student leadership opportunities relate to the material we discuss in gender and women's studies courses. Visit these pages and check out the gender and women's studies Facebook page for upcoming events and opportunities.
- FIREplace and Sexual Assault Peer Educators (internship option) are committed to "fighting ignorance and rape through education"; they organize Take Back the Night among other events.
- Her Campus WMU is a clearinghouse for information relevant to women at WMU.
- LBGT Student Services (internship option) has a resource room in Trimpe, collects bias reports and hosts numerous programs and activities for LGBT and ally students at WMU.
- Office of Diversity and Inclusion sponsors a Real Talk Diversity Series to raise awareness, stimulate dialogue and eliminate false ideologies.
- OutSpoken is an RSO for LGBT and ally students at WMU.
- Saving Our Sisters is a new RSO that focuses on providing mentoring and support for girls and young women and raising awareness about abuse.
- Sexual Health Peer Educators (internship option) provide information and advice about healthy sexuality to their peers at WMU.
- Society of Women Engineers is an RSO that provides networking opportunities for female engineering students.
- Student Activities and Leadership Programs hosts a Gender and Leadership conference annually and runs several leadership certificate programs, including one on social justice.
- Students for Sexual Awareness fights for reproductive justice and comprehensive, age-appropriate sex education.
- Theatre for Community Health (internship option) explores the challenges college students face dealing with sex, relationships, drinking and diversity.
- Triota is the gender and women's studies honor society at WMU.
- Womyn's Equality is an RSO that organizes the campus production of "The Vagina Monologues" and other campus events.
- You Beautiful Black Woman is an RSO that holds meetings and hosts events in support of black women on campus.
Contact us if you know of another WMU campus group or involvement opportunity that should be listed here.