Before Coming to WMU for the First Time
- FAFSA: Complete your Free Application for Federal Student Aid by March 1.
- ETV: Complete your Educational Training Voucher application.
- Medicaid: Ask your caseworker about how your Medicaid coverage will transfer to Kalamazoo County.
- FERPA: Become familiar with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974.
- Housing: Become familiar with WMU's housing policies.
- Parking: Be aware that parking is limited on campus and cars are generally more costly than students first realize. We recommend going without a car on campus for as long as you can to save money and headaches.
- Questions: Call your campus coach or peer Seita scholar leader with questions.
Before Each Semester
- Deadlines: Review upcoming dates and deadlines from the official academic calendar.
- Your Account: Review your student account at goWMU. From this site you will be able to accomplish almost everything a student needs to accomplish.
- Class Details: Review the undergraduate catalog for important policies, majors offered, degree requirements, and course descriptions.
- Meal Plan: Make sure you have your ideal meal plan.
- Payment: Pay for the first semester – fall semester eBills will be issued mid-August with payment due early September. Visit goWMU to access your statement.
- Health Insurance: For Seita scholars 21 years and older, decide on whether to purchase student health insurance. (Enrollment is in the fall only.)
- Housing: Review the Guide to Community Living Expectations at WMU http://www.wmich.edu/housing/info/CLE.html
- Moving Plans: Plan ahead for the move-in to your residence hall or campus apartment: Visit http://www.wmich.edu/students/housing.html
- Campus Coach: Visit the Seita Scholars Program office (located in Faunce Student Services building) to meet with your campus coach.
Before Classes Start Each Semester
- Class Schedule: Verify that you have the correct class schedule: You can find your schedule at goWMU.
- Resources: Visit the Center for Academic Success Programs (CASP) for
- Supplemental Instruction
- Math Lab
- Science Lab
- Computer Lab
- Important Dates: Be aware of these important dates:
- Advising Day
- Classes start for fall semester
- Drop/Add end period
- Last day to withdraw from courses
- Thanksgiving recess
- Final exam schedule
- When to register for spring semester classes
- Mark your calendar for residence halls closing date. Complete the semester-break housing form (available at goWMU) if you plan to live on campus for some or all of the semester break.
- Break Housing: Decide whether you will need on-campus housing over break.
- Complete a break-housing form (available through goWMU in the group Seita Scholars).