What benefits will you receive as a FYS student?
- Get to know your campus!
- Find out how to get through your first year of college and beyond!
- Learn what it takes to be a successful college student!
- Develop friendships with current students, staff, and faculty right away!
What did past year's FYS students say about the course?
- “Being able to bond with other freshmen my first semester. The social aspect was the best. It allowed us to
share our experiences and get used to the [college] setting much better.”
- “I feel that I would not be where I am today if it had not been for the First-Year Experience
Program, particularly because of Fall Welcome and the FYS class…I am so glad I took part
in it. I would definitely recommend it to anyone!”
- “Connecting with other students helped to establish meaningful friendships as well as gave
me the skills and tools to adjust to the college lifestyle.”
Is a textbook required for the First-Year Seminar?
Yes, a textbook is required that is specifically designed for new and transfer students.
The textbook addresses topics that are common to first-year students of a major university.
What is a co-curricular activity?
A co-curricular activity is an experience that takes learning outside of the classroom.
Co-curricular activities vary from year to year. The activities and events
will concentrate on such subjects as: community service, cultural diversity,
health and wellness, athletics, campus involvement, or the arts.
This experience gives students the opportunity to form
connections outside of the classroom and introduces
students to various topics and messages critical
to the start of their college careers.
What student qualifies for the
The course is open to all new or transfer students.
NOTE: Students in the following departments/colleges will be participating in the seminar as
part of their experience and will, therefore, have
to register for the course.
- Exploratory (undecided major)
- TRIO Student Success Program
- Alpha Program
- Seita Scholars
- Kalamazoo Promise
How does the First-Year Seminar work during Fall Welcome week?
- Seminar students enroll in the two-credit hour seminar during New Student Orientation and participate in planned FYS programs and activities during Fall Welcome.
- Students enrolled in FYE 2100 - First-Year Seminar move in on the first day of Fall Welcome.
- All FYS students attend a kick-off event on day two of Fall Welcome.
- During Fall Welcome week FYS students hangout with their FYS classmates and participate in programming exclusive to seminar students.