Dollars & Sense
A finance camp for students who have completed grades 7-12.
- June 26–30 (for students who have completed grades 7-9) - Sold Out
- July 17–21 (for students who have completed grades 10-12)
Have you ever wanted to learn more about finance?
How stock markets work, how to pick stocks, when to trade, what types of investments someone can make, how the economy works, how to save?
If you have ever been curious about anything from why a stock market crashes to how to save for college, then our finance day-camp is right for you
Two projects—one trip to Chicago—an unforgettable week
In just one week, you will learn about more than 10 different finance topics that impact the world in general and you as an individual. Taught by finance experts in the Department of Finance and Commercial Law, classes will be discussion-based and fun and will include two real-world projects and a trip to Chicago to visit the stock exchanges and meet with brokers and other finance professionals.
All classes will be taught in Western Michigan University’s Greenleaf Trust Trading Room, housed within the Haworth College of Business. The trading room gives you a glimpse into a Wall Street environment right in Kalamazoo, equipped with the software and tools that finance professionals use every day.
Often, the most powerful people in the business world are the ones who understand financial principles and apply them well. Get a glimpse into the world of finance and how you can harness its power to help you succeed in a business career or in your personal life as you think about things like your personal budget and how to achieve a comfortable standard of living.
During your camp sessions, you will work on two special projects.
- Project 1: You will pick 10 stocks based on data and research and also the concepts of risk and return and chart the progress of those stocks in real-time throughout the week in the Greenleaf Trust Trading Room.
- Project 2: You will design a life cycle financial plan, laying out where you want to be in terms of your personal finances and life goals and how you are going to get there—from today through retirement.
Talk about a good investment!
- Camp Cost: $299
- June 26–30 (for students who have completed grades 7-9); July 17–21 (for students who have completed grades 10-12).
- Camp Hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday—8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Wednesday: Bus trip to Chicago—7:45 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Register by June 1.
- This camp is generously underwritten by American Hawk, Jeff K. Ross Financial Services, Jaqua Realtors and Kiss Financial Services so that your cost is less than 1/2 of the actual cost.
- Need-based scholarships are available.