TEACH grant suspension

Students who receive a TEACH Grant must commit to teaching four years in a high-need area in a school serving low-income students. If you receive a TEACH grant, you must complete this teaching obligatin within eight years of finishing your TEACH-eligible program. If you do not fulfill your teaching obligation within eight years, your TEACH grants will be converted to a federal direct unsubsidized loan, with accrued interest from the date your grants were disbursed. Approximately 80 percent of students who receive a TEACH grant will be unable to fulfill this obligation and will have their grants converted to loans.

You may be able to extend the eight-year deadline for completing your teaching service if you:

  • enroll in a program of study eligible to receive the TEACH grant (e.g. you return to school for your master’s or additional certification.)
  • receive a call or order to qualifying active duty status of more than 30 days.
  • experience a condition covered under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), such as:
    • birth and subsequent care of a child
    • adoption of a child or provision of foster care
    • caring for a spouse, child, or parent who has a serious health condition
    • you have a serious health condition

Requesting a suspension

  • Apply in writing to the U.S. Department of Education within six months of completing or terminating enrollment in a TEACH Grant-eligible program.
  • If you have already begun teaching service, apply in writing within six months of the date you stop teaching or no longer meet the teaching requirements.
  • Be sure to include your home address and telephone number and any documents that will support your request.

Time period for suspensions

  • A total of three years
  • Granted in one-year increments
  • Ends upon completion of qualifying military service
Updated: 01/05/2011 11:49 AM

Visit related WMU sites

There is a lot more to see! Visit some of our friends at WMU to learn about academics, campus life and how you can be successful.

Student Financial Aid
1903 W Michigan Ave
Western Michigan University
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5337 USA
269 387-6000 finaid-info@wmich.edu