Your eligibility for financial aid will be based in part on your transfer hours. You must maintain satisfactory academic progress, which states you must not exceed a total of 183 undergraduate credit hours, including transferred hours.

If you have questions about your eligibility for student financial aid, please call the service team at Bronco Express, 269 387-6000. You can visit Bronco Express without an appointment at the Bernhard Center. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. and Wednesday, 10 a.m.- 5 p.m.

Or, send an email to



If you want financial aid, you must meet certain eligibility requirements. Transfer students are eligible for aid. You must be a regular admitted, degree-seeking student enrolled in courses at WMU. Once you have completed your degree requirements, you are no longer eligible for aid. Guest students are not eligible. Certificate programs are not eligible, unless you are completing hours for State Permanent Teacher Certification – then you are eligible for undergraduate student loans.


You must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or an eligible non-citizen. Generally, you are an eligible non-citizen if you are:

  • A U.S. permanent resident and you have an Alien Registration Receipt Card (I-551);
  • A conditional permanent resident (I-551C) or
  • Another eligible non-citizen with an arrival departure record (I-94) from the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service showing any one of the following designations:
    • Refugee
    • Asylum Granted
    • Indefinite Parole
    • Humanitarian Parole
    • Cuban-Haitian Entrant

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

If you want to remain eligible for federal and state financial aid programs, you must also make satisfactory academic progress (SAP) toward your degree. Standards of satisfactory academic progress are applied to all students who wish to establish or maintain financial aid eligibility, regardless of whether they have received financial aid in the past.

The Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress state you must:

  • Pass a minimum of 67 percent of all attempted hours at Western
  • Maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average as stated in the University’s Catalog
  • Not exceed a total of 183 undergraduate credit hours, including transferred hours

You can view the complete SAP policy pdf online.

Other conditions

Your financial aid eligibility is also affected by additional factors, such as:

  • Cost of Attendance - your awards may not exceed the estimated cost of attendance or COA. If you receive financial aid, including outside scholarships, beyond your eligibility based on COA, your awards may be adjusted.
  • Student visa status - if you have a F1 or F2 student visa, a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa or a G services visa, you are neither a citizen nor eligible non-citizen.
  • Social security number – you must have a valid SSN.
  • Selective service registration – men between 18 and 25 must register with the Selective Service.
  • Default – you must not owe an overpayment on a federal Perkins loan or grant program. You must not be in default on a Federal student loan, or over your loan limits.
  • Purpose – you must certify that funds will be used solely for educational purposes.

Withdrawing from classes

If you are a financial aid recipient contemplating a partial or complete withdrawal, it is highly recommended that you discuss your situation with a financial aid counselor before you withdraw. Withdrawing may impact your eligibility for current and future aid. Read more about withdrawing here.


Visit related WMU sites

There is a lot more to see! Visit some of our friends at WMU to learn about academics, campus life and how you can be successful.

Student Financial Aid
1903 W Michigan Ave
Western Michigan University
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5337 USA
269 387-6000