Financial aid

Financial aid

 

Hire students using work-study

Information for community service sites

  • Create an appropriate job description. Assign an appropriate wage rate for the position. For guidance, you may refer to the guidelines used at Western Michigan University by visiting Career and Student Employment Services.   

  • Complete/submit the Western Michigan University Community Service Work-study Agreement pdf. The agreement must be signed by the appropriate representative of both the off-campus site and Western Michigan University. For assistance, please contact Career and Student Employment Services at (269) 387-2725.

  • Work with WMU Career and Student Employment Services to recruit student employees to your site. If you wish to list your position on WMU’s job bank, Bronco Jobs, please contact WMU Career and Student Employment Services at (269) 387-2725. 

  • When you find a potential student employee, confirm that they have received a work-study award. Students who have been awarded work-study may view and print their award letter any time using GoWMU. Please ask them to provide whatever documentation you desire to confirm their award.

PLEASE NOTE: WMU will reimburse the site for up to 75 percent of the student’s wages. The site must contribute the remaining 25 percent. If the student does not have a work-study award, the site will not be reimbursed. 

Calculate the number of hours per week the student may work within the limits of their award. Maximum hours may be determined by using the following calculator:

Convert your award to hours per week

Instructions: Enter the dollar amount of your award, enter your hourly pay rate, and press the "=" button. Do not add dollar signs or commas. Please note - this calculator assumes you are working all pay periods assigned to the term. You may be able to work more hours per week if your employment begins late.

               

Fall or Spring

$ Your award /  Hourly pay rate / 

18Weeks

  Hours per week
               

SU1 or SU2

$ Your award /  Hourly pay rate / 

8Weeks

  Hours per week
 

 

 

Visit related WMU sites

There is a lot more to see! Visit some of our friends at WMU to learn about academics, campus life and how you can be successful.

Student Financial Aid
1903 W Michigan Ave
Western Michigan University
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5337 USA
269 387-6000 finaid-info@wmich.edu