TRiO Future Educator Success Program
About TRiO FESP
What is FESP?
The TRiO Future Educator Success Program is a U.S. Department of Education federally funded grant program that promotes the success, retention and graduation of future teachers from Western Michigan University. TRiO FESP works with teaching majors who are first generation, income eligible students and/or students with disabilities to help them work towards graduation by offering the following services:
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Leadership opportunities
- Opportunity to attend conferences
- Speedy Access to Advisors
- Career exploration
- Graduate school exploration
- Financial assistance
The TRiO Future Educator Success Program is a selective program designed to serve teaching majors. TRiO FESP staff are here to work with eligible students throughout their time at WMU to help them meet their personal, professional, and educational goals while having fun, meeting new people, and learning skills to help you be successful in college and their future teaching careers.
Students enrolled in TRiO FESP may be eligible for the following benefits:
- Priority Registration. Active TRiO participants who have completed all program requirements can register for classes on the FIRST day of undergraduate registration, even before the junior and senior students!
- Scholarship Opportunities. $11,000 in scholarships is available for freshman and sophomore Pell Grant recipients. CoEHD also sets aside $25,000 in scholarships available only to program participants.
- Speedy Access to Advisors. Academic advising tailored to YOUR specific career goals. You can see your CoEHD advisor with little or no wait time and can schedule appointments almost any day.
- Tutors/Mentors. Peer tutors and mentors will be available to help with classes, general study skills, and to provide assistance with MTTC Basic Skills and Subject Area Test preparation.
- Job Opportunities. Members will be given first priority for jobs within the program as tutors, mentors, and office staff.
- Caring, Knowledgeable Staff. TRiO’s well-trained, knowledgeable and compassionate staff are always available to help you solve problems.