MA in Family and Consumer Sciences
Child Life and Family Life Education emphasis areas
Qualifying students can accumulate up to 12 credit hours toward the Master of Arts in Family and Consumer Sciences while enrolled as undergraduates in either the Family Studies major or the Child and Family Development major. Designated 5000- and 6000-level courses are counted in both the bachelor’s degree and the master’s degree.
- Declared major in Family Studies or in Child and Family Development
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 (based on at least 45 earned credit hours, 15 of which shall be earned at Western Michigan University) and 3.5 GPA in the major (based on at least 12 earned credit hours)
- Meet general admission criteria for the MA in FCS
1. As early as possible in the academic junior year, contact Dr. Karen Blaisure (September – June) or Dr. Richard Zinser (July – August) to discuss this AGDP option and review the requirements, timelines, and application procedures.
2. Apply for a graduation audit even if you have not completed 88 credit hours.
3. Complete an online admissions application. Go to WMU Apply and select the application type "Accelerated degree seeking - only available to current WMU undergraduate student." In a dropdown menu look for MA in FCS – Accelerated. The application is considered complete when all required information is received, including three letters of reference, transcripts, a resume, and a self- statement).