As recipient of the Emerging Scholar Award, Mezei join 19 faculty members who have received the accolade since it was established in 2006. Mezei was chosen from nominees across campus because of her role as a journal editorial board member and reviewer, grant program reviewer, consultant for research projects, workshop presenter, and various other roles.=
2017 fall convocation videos
The Emerging Scholar Award program was launched in late 2006 to acknowledge the accomplishments of WMU faculty members who are among the rising stars in the U.S. higher education. This award recognizes the scholarly or creative achievements of outstanding colleagues whose accomplishments are evidence of great potential for scholarship or creative work. Eligible faculty are all those current, continuing, full-time, Board-appointed, tenured persons with faculty rank and in good standing, who were tenured no earlier than January 2014. Untenured faculty members are ineligible.
Scholarship or creative activity may be artistic, historical, literary, philosophical, scientific or technical. Current scholarly/creative achievement shall demonstrate:
- Impact on the state of scholarship or advancement of knowledge in the discipline.
- Impact beyond the discipline or on the general public.
- Evidence of international professional recognition.
- Evidence of outstanding promise to achieve renown in continuing work,
Call for nominations (Submission of nominations for this award deadline by 4:00 p.m. on Monday, April 2, 2018)
Submit electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 2017—Gellert Mezei
- 2016—Jessaca Spybrook
- 2015—Luigi Berto
- 2014—Fritz Allhoff
- 2013—Chris L.S. Coryn, Michael A. Famiano, Kristina Wirtz
- 2012—Jeffery Angles, Charles Henderson, Sherine Obare
- 2011—Eli Rubin
- 2010—Yirong Mo, Bilinda Straight
- 2009—G. Michael Grammer, Taskashi Yoshida
- 2008—Kuanchin Chen, Jennifer Machiorlatti
- 2007—Stephen Covell, Igor Fedotov, David Huffman
- 2006—Mitch Kachun, Carla M. Koretsky, Kirk T. Korista
Contact Tonya Dean with any questions regarding the Emerging Scholars Award.