Mail Stop 5237
Western Michigan University
1903 W Michigan Ave
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5237 USA
- Ph.D., Psychology (Evaluation and Applied Research Methods), Claremont Graduate University
- M.A., Psychology, Claremont Graduate University
- Bachelor of General Studies, University of Connecticut
- Program Evaluation
- Research Methods
- Evaluation theory and application
- Participatory evaluation
- Social definitions of impact
Dr. Michael Harnar is an assistant professor in the Interdisciplinary Ph.D. in Evaluation Program at Western Michigan University.
He is an award-winning evaluator with more than 13 years in the evaluation discipline.
He has worked on evaluation projects as diverse as:
- Educational programs for underserved minorities
- Community college program review and planning for accreditation
- Health-related website evaluations
- Railroad safety programs
- Community-focused non-profit capacity building grants
- Program and curriculum development for an online Master of Arts degree
- Youth participatory evaluations
Before entering the evaluation field, Harnar spent more than 20 years in the television field, including as an enlisted (award-winning) Navy combat photographer and videographer, a Navy public affairs officer, a video producer on the staff of the University of Connecticut, and a freelance video cameraman in New York City. He served 25 years in the active and reserve Navy and retired as a Lieutenant.