Teacher and Administrator Certification
Beginning September 1, 2013: To apply for a Renewal, Professional and/or Full Occupational you will be working with the Office of Professional Preparation Services (OPPS) at the Michigan Department of Education (MDE): (517) 373-3310
Qualifications to earn a Professional and/or Full Occupational Certificate:
- Three (3) years of teaching experience
This must occur after you have been issued your Provisional Certificate, in the grade-level/subject area of your Provisional Certificate
- At least one (1) of the following:
- 6 credit hours* at an approved teacher preparation institution or approved college or university.
- 180 clock hours of state continuing education* in approved professional development appropriate to the grade level and content endorsement (s) of the certificate.
- Annual district provided professional development* completed through professional development programs that are appropriate to the grade level and content endorsement (s) of the certificate.
Note: A combination of semester credit hours may be used (30 clock hours of annual district professional development = 1 semester credit hour = 30 clock hours of state continuing education)
A maximum of 30 hours can be earned per year over the course of five years.
- Visual Aid - Moving from a Provisional to a Professional
- Visual Aid - Renewing a Professional
- LS 5160 Professional Symposium in Reading
Satisfactory completion of 3 semester credit hours in an approved course of study in the diagnosis and remediation of reading disabilities and differentiated instruction, which includes a field experience. Here at WMU LS 5160 will satisfy this requirement and may be counted toward the credit requirement for the Professional or Renewal.
*Professional Certificate - R 390.1132 to obtain a professional education certificate a person shall apply to the superintendent of public instruction and shall verify completion of the requirements as defined under this Rule, within the 5-year period preceding the date of application and after the date of issuance of the provisional or interim occupational certificate or renewal.