MTTC - Subject Tests
MTTC Subject Area tests appropriate for WMU elementary and secondary majors and minors
Currently, a Michigan Secondary Provisional Certificate is valid for teaching in subject areas (major and minor) grades 6-12, unless the major is designed for grades K-12; an Elementary Provisional Certificate is valid for teaching all subjects in grades K-5 and K-8 teaching all subjects in a self-contained classroom (where the majority of instruction is provided by one teacher) and grades 6-8 in which the applicant has completed a major or minors(s).
- Public Act 282 (1992) amends PA 267 (1986) and mandates that persons seeking certification for the first time will pass the appropriate subject area test(s) in the major and minor areas of preparation(regardless of areas in which they will intern teach) prior to certification. You must add the appropriate subject to your certificate within five years of program completion and testing. If you fail to be endorsed within this time period, you will need to have your program reviewed and re-test.
- The Elementary Education test is mandatory for all students seeking elementary certification including all Special Education students.
MTTC & MDE Resources for Subject Test Preparation:
- Prepare for the MTTC
- General info on the tests and how to prepare
- Test Objectives for each test
- Study Guides for each test
- A test preparation video
- Practice Tests
- Prepare for the MTTC – Michigan Department of Education Suggestions
Other Helpful Resources