Teacher and Administrator Certification
The Michigan Department of Education approves certification (not WMU). A degree does not guarantee certification and certification does not guarantee employment.
If you have any convictions, you will need to provide WMU with the Judgment of Sentence or Register of Action obtained from the court where you were convicted/fined.
Certification is not guaranteed when you have a conviction and certain convictions will prohibit certification (see below).
If you apply for certification and have a conviction, you will not receive a 90-day letter from WMU (you will go through a different certification process with the State of Michigan Department of Education).
Michigan Department of Education School Safety Legislation
Convictions that will prohibit certification
- Accosting, enticing, or soliciting a child for immoral purposes.
- Involvement in child sexually abusive activity or material.
- A third or subsequent violation of any combination of engaging in obscene or
indecent conduct in public, indecent exposure, or a local ordinance substantially
corresponding to either offense.
- First, second, third, or fourth degree Criminal Sexual Conduct (CSC).
- Assault with intent to commit CSC.
- If the victim is less than 18 years of age, the crime of gross indecency (except for
a juvenile disposition or adjudication), kidnapping, sodomy, or soliciting another
- Leading, enticing, or carrying away a child under 14 years of age.
- Any other violation of a state law or local ordinance constituting a sexual offense
against an individual less than 18 years of age.
- An offense committed by a sexually delinquent person.
- An attempt or conspiracy to commit one of the offenses listed above.
Enumerated Misdemeanor Convictions Required Disclosure
- Felonious assault on a child, child abuse in any degree, or an attempt to
commit child abuse in any degree
- Cruelty, torture, or indecent exposure involving a child
- Delivery of a narcotic to a minor or student or within 1,000 feet of school
- Breaking and entering (750.115)
- Knowingly allowing a minor to consume or possess alcohol or a controlled
substance at a social gathering (750.141a)
- Accosting, enticing, or soliciting a child for an immoral purpose
- Larceny from a vacant dwelling (750.359)
- Assault; assault and battery (750.81)
- Assault; infliction of serious injury (750.81a)
- Selling or furnishing alcoholic liquor to a person less than 21 years of age
Required Disclosure and Immediate Suspension of
Certificate Upon Conviction
- Manufacturing/delivering controlled substance (7401(2)(a)(i))
- Possession of a controlled substance (7403(2)(a)(i))
- Recruiting, inducing, soliciting or coercing minor to commit a felony
- Assault with intent to commit murder (750.83)
- Assault with intent to rob and steal armed (750.89)
- Attempt to murder (750.91)
- First degree murder (750.316)
- Second degree murder (750.317)
- Armed robbery aggravated assault (750.529)
- Misdemeanor—Delivery of a narcotic to a minor or student or within
1,000 feet of school property (333.7410)