Readmission Policies and Procedures
Readmission for Students who have been Academically Dismissed
WMU students who have been academically dismissed will normally not be readmitted for at least one fifteen
week semester. The University will require evidence that the causes of past academic problems have been
removed before approving a Readmission Application.
Applying for Readmission
To be considered for readmission to WMU and the College of Education and Human Development, the documents listed below must be postmarked by the following deadlines:
Fall: August 1
Spring: October 1
and sent to:
College of Education and Human Development
Western Michigan University
1903 W. Michigan Ave.
Kalamazoo, MI 49008-5275
After receipt of the documents, the College of Education and Human Development Office of Admissions and Advising will consider your application and you may be required to meet with a CEHD advisor.
You must submit the following documents by the above deadlines:
- A carefully completed University Application for Undergraduate Readmission.
- A carefully completed College of Education and Human Development Readmission Application
- Transcript(s) from any other institution(s) you have attended since you were dismissed from WMU. You must also request that an official copy of the transcript be sent directly to the WMU Office of Admissions so that a credit evaluation can be completed.
- A progress report from the instructor of each class in which you are currently enrolled, if you are taking classes at another institution at the time of application for readmission to WMU.
- A WMU transcript if you have any coursework completed here prior to 1984 (transcripts available from the Registrar's Office, Seibert Administration Building).
- PTC students must obtain a recommendation from the WMU Office of Admissions. MLK students must be admitted by the MLK Program Director only. Alpha students must obtain a recommendation from the Alpha advisor. International students must obtain a recommendation from the Office of International Student Services after they see a college advisor.
The decision to readmit is determined by the College of Education and Human Development Advisor.
Petitioning for readmission does not guarantee automatic readmission to the University.
Students who last attended WMU four or more years ago may apply for Academic Forgiveness. For more
information, contact the Registrar's Office at (269) 387-4300.
Readmission for Students in Good Academic Standing
- Students who enroll at WMU but do not return the following semester/term will have one year's valid
admission status in which to re-enroll, providing they left in good standing and have not attended another
college since leaving WMU. After one year, students in good standing and with no college work since leaving WMU may reactivate their admission status by completing a University Application for Undergraduate Readmission.
- Students who leave the University in good standing and subsequently take additional college work must
complete a University Application for Undergraduate Readmission AND have official transcripts sent to
WMU’s Admissions Office from each institution attended. The readmission decision will be made by
WMU’s Admissions Office under existing transfer admission standards.