Skip To Nav

Site-specific menu


Frequently Asked Questions



When do classes start and end?
The academic calendar gives all the important dates, including dropping classes for a full refund and university closures dates.

Who has access to my academic records?
Students academic records are protected under FERPA. You can grant access to a designated third party.

What are Intellectual Skills Development (ISD) classes?
These are “enhancement” or “review” classes that may be required based on your ACT/SAT test scores. Intellectual Skills Development classes don’t count toward graduation.

How many advisors do I actually have for my program at WMU?
It depends! Most students in a program leading to a Secondary Education teaching certificate have three advisors (major/minor/education). Students in Elementary Education have only one advisor. Most Human Development students will have two advisors, one in their major/program and one in their minor. List of advisors

Will my advisor tell me what courses to take?
Yes, your advisor is the one who will help you decide which courses you have to take. If you know your major the advisor can help you to plan your schedule. If you don't know your major the advisor will be able to direct you where to go.

Do I have to see an advisor?
At some point you should see your advisor. They are the people who are best equipped to help you plan your schedule. You can register for classes without visiting an advisor, but if you do not visit them, they will be unable to let you know what classes you are missing.

What are the admissions requirements for programs leading to teacher certification?
Admissions requirements for most teacher certification programs
Admissions requirements for Special Education

How do I declare or change my major?
To declare a major in the College of Education and Human Development, you must come to the advising office in 2421 Sangren during our walk-in hours so that we can write your program guides and make sure you are on track.

Could I attain a double major or double degree?
Yes. But completing more than one major or degree will add additional requirements and will probably increase the time it takes you to graduate. Before you add the second major or degree, talk with the advisor in your first major.

If I don't like a class, may I drop it?
Yes, you may drop a class. The end of the course adjustment period is the end of the first five days of the semester for no academic penalty. If you withdraw after the first five days, you will have a “W” (official withdrawal) on your grade report and transcript. This does not affect your gpa. If you drop below 12 semester hours, it could cause problems with your financial aid, scholarships, or health insurance.

What happens if I do poorly in a course and need to repeat it?
Your GPA is unique to every college/university you attend. If you do poorly in a course at WMU and need to repeat it, it is in your best interest to repeat it at WMU because when you do the new grade will replace the old grade in your GPA calculation. If you repeat the course at another college or university, the credit will transfer but it will not affect your WMU GPA in any way.

How do I qualify for the Dean’s List (Honor Roll)?
There is the Dean’s list (3.5-3.89 GPA, 12 credit hours minimum) and the President’s List (3.9 and above GPA, 12 Credit hours minimum). If you should fall short of your goal, you need at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA to be in good standing at WMU.

Where do I sign up for the MTTC Professional Readiness Exam (formerly Basic Skills Test)?
Go to the MTTC website and register for Test #96. Have your scores sent to WMU. This website also includes a study guide for the Professional Readiness Exam (formerly Basic Skills Test).

Is it bad to have a class that is a general education class taken as credit/ no credit. As long as I pass it, it goes on my transcript right?
Credit/No Credit classes are not approved for a major or minor, but would be ok for a class that ONLY counts for general education. So if it counts for both general education and your elementary education minor, then NO, you can’t take it credit/no credit.

Which classes require a pre-internship and who do I contact regarding other pre-internships?
Many of the classes (e.g., ED 3710/4500 and ED 3690) leading to a teaching certificate require a “pre-internship,” prior to interning (student teaching).

My work schedule changes a lot. Is there any way I can still take classes or get college credit?
There are ways to fit college credit into a busy schedule. Western offers some online courses. To find out more visit an advisor.

Why would I have to take non-credit courses?
If you do not have the basics in a certain subject, you may be required to take a course that does not give you credit for your major. You still receive credits for taking the course, but these will not count towards your major's credits.

Do I have to take a physical education course?
A physical education course is required by the university. Physical education courses fulfill the Area VIII requirements.

When do I get to register for my spring classes?
The majority of first year students will register for the spring semester during October before the spring semester. Individual dates are based according to the number of credit hours earned (and showing on WMU’s computer) prior to the fall semester. Some students will have advance registration at an earlier time due to practice schedules or needed accommodations.

How do I figure out my GPA?
To calculate your GPA, divide the quality points earned by the number of credit hours attempted.

How can I find out what classes I have left to take before I can graduate?
The best way to find out what classes you have to take before you graduate is to visit your advisor. In addition, you can check out Degree Works by logging into GoWMU and clicking on Degree Works under My Self Service on the Student Home tab.