Admission Requirements for Early, Elementary, Career and Technical, Health, Physical Education, Art and Music
All undergraduate students who declare a preference for a
curriculum leading to a teaching certificate will be assigned
a pre-education designator (PED) at the time of admission.
The primary purpose of this designation is to identify students
who intend to enter the teaching profession. This permits
the College of Education and Human Development's Office of Admissions and Advising
to monitor each student's progress toward certification.
must meet the following minimum requirements at the time of application:
- Completion of 35 hours
of all Western Michigan University Intellectual Skills
Development requirements (e.g. MATH 1090, ED 1040, ENG 1000,
of an approved college level writing course
- Completion of the following course or an approved course with a grade of "C" or better:
- Secondary Education Students with a teachable major in the College of Arts and Sciences - ES 2000, Intro to American Education
- Physical Education Majors--HPHE 2400: Motor Development and Learning
- All other teaching majors--ED 2500: Human Growth and Development
of a cumulative grade point average (GPA)
of 2.5 or better at the
time of application.
of acceptable scores on the Michigan Test for Teacher
Certification (MTTC) - Professional Readiness Exam #96 (formerly Basic Skills) at the
time of application
- Completion of Background Check through CertifiedBackground.com (Package Code: WC48)
- Judgment of Sentence or Register of Action for any convictions
and submission of a formal application to the Office of Admissions and Advising, 2421 Sangren Hall, Kalamazoo, MI 49008.
Health and Physical Education Teacher Education Additional Requirements
All the requirements listed above AND
- Completion of HPHE 1500 or 1550 with a grade of "C" or better.
- Satisfactory completion of BIOS 1120
- Completion of an application for admission to the Department at the HPHE office on the fourth floor of the Student Recreation Center.
WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO ENROLL FOR PROFESSIONAL EDUCATION
COURSES AT THE 3000 LEVEL OR ABOVE UNTIL THEY HAVE BEEN
ADMITTED TO THEIR PROFESSIONAL PROGRAM.