All Western Michigan University undergraduate students will be assigned as pre-education designator at the time of admission to the university. This status does not ensure admission to the professional education curriculum in the special education program. The selection of a set number of students into the professional education curriculum in special education occurs each February after a program faculty committee reviews all applications.
Applications are now processed in Tk20.
The application priority due date will be Feb. 1, 2018.
Students must meet the following minimum requirements at the time of application:
- Completion of 56 credits—this may include currently enrolled spring credits
- All WMU intellectual skills development requirements (e.g. MATH 1090, LS 1040, ENGL 1000) if required
- Completion of an approved college-level writing course with a grade of "C" or better
- Completion of ED 2500: Human Development, or an approved course, with a grade of "C" or better
- Achievement of a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5
- Achievement of passing scores on Basic Skills Examination (BSE)
- Completed background check through CastleBranch
- Submission of Judgment of Sentence, Register of Action, or Case History for any convictions, if necessary
- Completion of a letter of intent for admission into the program including professional goals and explaining why a special education degree is sought
- Completion and submission of a formal application in Tk20 by specified date
Students selected for admission comprise a cohort that begins taking courses in the special education sequence the following fall semester. The four semesters of special education coursework must be taken in the prescribed sequence. For special course requirements, see the undergraduate catalog.
Faculty serve as advisors for the special education courses in the professional undergraduate program. Specific appointment hours are posted in 4571 Sangren Hall. Students interested in the field of special education are encouraged to call (269) 387-5935 to schedule an appointment.