COLUMN 3 HEADER
Click on the photos below to move along the timeline.
- Groundbreaking takes place for the new Sangren Hall to be completed in 2012.
- Dr. John J. Wheeler replaces Dr. Gary Wegenke as dean.
- In 2011, the Michigan Association recognized graduates of the physical education program in the Department of Human Performance and Health Education as the Elementary and Secondary Physical Education Teachers of the Year for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance.
- The department of Health, Physical Education and Recreation was changed to the department of Human Performance and Health Education, approved by the board of trustees.
- In January, Dr. Van E. Cooley replaces Dr. John J. Wheeler as interim dean.
- The new Sangren Hall is completed.
- In October, Dr. Walter Burt is named interim dean after the death of Dr. Van E. Cooley.
- The department of Counselor Education and Counseling Psychology was presented Western Michigan University’s Excellence in Diversity Award in the College/Department category.
- The Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE) accredits the undergraduate Athletic Training Professional Program (ATPP) through the year 2022.
- In 2012 Tracy DeMars in the department of Teaching, Learning and Educational Studies launched a successful Michigan Test for Teacher Certification test preparation program that includes workshops, tutoring and financial support to cover fees for taking the practice test online.
- The Masters of Arts in Career and Technical Education in the Department of Family and Consumer Sciences as of Fall 2013 are available as a primarily online graduate program, joining the first primarily online undergraduate programs at WMU in Family Studies and Child and Family Development.
- In 2013, The College of Education and Human Development launched a teaching with technology project with Apple to pilot the use of iPads in field-based teacher education courses.
- In September of 2013, the US Department of Education announced a new, nearly $5 million grant to Western Michigan University’s educational leadership team of the Department of Educational Leadership, Research and Technology, to continue to improve the line of work with school principals.
- For the 2013 fiscal year, the Department of Human Performance and Health Education received $1.75 million in external funding awards. This amount accounted for 57% of the total awards received by the College of Education and Human Development and 7% of the total awards received by Western Michigan University.
- In Fall 2013, "The Living Room," a 1-hour Michigan Radio show, created and hosted by Allison Downey, recently won the Excellence in Broadcasting Award from the Michigan Association of Broadcasters for the Special Interest and Cultural Programming category.
- Western Michigan University's impressive 2013 class of Woodrow Wilson Michigan Teaching Fellows, led by project director Marcia Fetters include peace corp veterans, a doctor of economics and an ornithologist.
- In 2013, a new Masters in the Arts in Teaching program in the department of Teaching, Learning and Educational Studies was approved for math and science. Students in the program receive a master’s degree and teacher certification.
- In spring 2013, Jeffrey Jones and Dini Metro-Roland in the department of Teaching, Learning and Educational Studies, were awarded the National Endowment for the Humanities--Enduring Questions Grant ($21,365) to develop and teach a course titled "What is Human Flourishing?"