Western Michigan University
1903 W Michigan Ave
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5336 USA
- Michigan Technological University, B.S., M.S., and Ph.D.
- Capstone design.
- First-year STEM education.
- Engineering professional skills.
- Under-represented groups in engineering.
Additional teaching activities
Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation
This pre-first year program, run at WMU (as well as UM, MSU, and Wayne State) during the month of July since 2006, introduces participants to college expectations and STEM topics. I have taught all years except 2007, and have been a Program Manager since 2008. Students take math, chemistry, biology, physics, technical communication, and college success strategies. We also enjoy many social activities, and travel to industry sites to expose the students to professional career choices and expectations. Our students compete against the other universities in the All-College LSAMP Day, and bond with each other to form a community of learners and friends before college even starts. We stay in touch throughout the school year with advising and professional development activities, and lots of eating together!
“Engineering in Germany” Study Abroad
The first study abroad experience specifically from the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences, our May 2007 trip was a three-week tour of industry settings, historic and significant places, wineries (naturally), and wonderful scenic stops. Students learned German and European industry practices, and were exposed to new priorities in manufacturing and energy use. This trip also served as the first from the CEAS to partner with Universität Paderborn, which provided guides, advice, lab opportunities for our students, and many good times together.
- American Society for Engineering Education.
- Board member, NC regional; reviewer.
- American Society for Engineering Management.
- Society of Manufacturing Engineering.
- Advisor, WMU student chapter.
- Epsilon Mu Eta, The Engineering Management Honor Society.
- Elected to membership, 2006.
- Project Management Institute.
Honors and awards
Outstanding New Educator Award, College of Engineering and Applied Sciences, WMU, 2007.
Dean’s Award for Teaching, College of Engineering and Applied Sciences, WMU: selected by graduating seniors David Smith (2004) and Joshua Wiese (2009).
Apprentice Faculty Grant, American Society for Engineering Education, Educational Research Methods division, 2002: one of five awards of 28 nominees nationwide.
- IME Assessment Committee (chair or co-chair since 2002).
- IME ABET Committee (ongoing since 2003).
- CEAS Assessment Committee (since 2002).
- CEAS Senior Capstone Design Faculty Group – founder, member since 2003.
- WMU University Academic Integrity Committee (2008-2010).
- WMU Scholarship on Teaching and Learning Committee (since 2007).
- American Society for Engineering Education, NC Region – campus rep. coordinator (2009 - ), unit director (2008-2009), best paper chair (2006-2008).