What is the Western Edge?
The Western Edge is a strategic plan for promoting student success and keeping the quality of education offered by WMU affordable. Designed by WMU President John M. Dunn, the Western Edge reflects Western's commitment to building a culture that puts students first. The plan began with the entering class for fall 2007.
"We're making strategic investments in how we carry out our core mission—helping students excel academically and prepare for successful lives," Dunn said of the plan. "The Western Edge will have a long-term effect on our ability to do that."
Learn more about the Western Edge
There are five independent components to the Western Edge. Students are encouraged to select the components that work best for them—we realize that no two students are the same. Some students will want to enjoy the benefits of each component.
You get all the rest of the benefits of the Western Edge just by being a student at WMU. Among the benefits and opportunities are:
- Enhanced academic advising will help move students smoothly and quickly through their degree programs.
- Three year bachelors programs and Five year bachelor's to master's programs give students the opportunity to accelerate their time to degree as well as the opportunity to get ahead in their careers.
- Degree Works is a web based tool available to help students plan their path to graduation. Degree Works brings WMU degree requirements and a student's completed coursework together to provide a complete view of progress toward degree completion.
- The Career Edge gives students the opportunity to extend their education beyond the classroom by helping them develop the skills and competencies that will help them graduate career-ready.
- WMU believes that every student should have 4 plans: Academic Plan, Career Plan, Financial Plan, and an Engagement Plan. These intersecting plans are used to facilitate the pursuit of a student’s dreams. Students can jump start their Plan It 4-Ward by checking out the planning worksheet found online here Plan It 4-Ward Worksheet.