Interested in earning your MA at the Grand Rapids campus? Representatives of the MA program will be at the Grad Fair on May 19 and 20.
Western Michigan University's Master of Arts in Counseling Psychology provides, beyond the departmental required core course work, a focus on psychopathology, psychological assessment, counseling and psychotherapy theories and practices and practicum experiences. The program emphasizes and prepares students to offer services in a variety of mental health settings and is designed for students seeking limited licensure as a psychologist in the State of Michigan.
Offered by WMU's Department of Counselor Education and Counseling Psychology, the counseling psychology program is designed to meet department requirements for certification of psychology education. Graduates are eligible for state of Michigan license as limited license psychologists.
Effective for students admitted fall 2002 and after
Departmental core courses required
- CECP 6010 Research Methods 3 credits
- CECP 6020 Group Dynamics and Procedures 3 credits
- CECP 6030 Tests and Measurement 3 credits
- CECP 6040 Counseling Techniques 3 credits
- CECP 6050 Professional Issues and Ethics 3 credits
- CECP 6070 Multicultural Counseling and Psychology 3 credits
- CECP 6080 Counseling and Life Span Development 3 credits
Program courses required
- CECP 6100 Career Development: Theory and Practice 3 credits
- CECP 6110 Theories of Counseling 3 credits
- CECP 6210 Psychopathology: Classification and Treatment 3 credits
- CECP 6500 Intellectual Assessment 3 credits
- CECP 6510 Personality Assessment 3 credits
- CECP 6750 Counseling Theories and Practices or "a specialized elective treatment course" 3 credits
- CECP 6120 Counseling Practicum—approved application required. 4 credits
- CECP 6130 Field Practicum—a minimum of 600 clock hours supervised by a doctoral level "fully" licensed psychologist in a field setting. Credit/No Credit basis. Approved application required. 4 credits
- Electives 1—to be selected from any college or department within the University, with the consent of the advisor.
Total Semester Hours Credit: 48
Elective Study in CECP
* A program designed to meet department requirements for certification of psychology education. Graduates are eligible for state of Michigan license as limited license psychologists.
In addition to WMU's main campus in Kalamazoo, Michigan, the Master of Arts in counseling psychology is offered in Grand Rapids; and various programs in the Master of Arts in counselor education are offered at our Grand Rapids and Traverse City regional locations. Certain courses required for the Master of Arts degree in counseling psychology and the Master of Arts degree in counselor education are also offered at the Battle Creek location. While the requirements are the same, courses at WMU regional locations feature evening and weekend classes. Check course listings or visit the Extended University Programs website for more information.