U.S. Students - Master's Admissions
« Back to Admissions
International student application information
Master's degree application deadline:
January 15 for ensuing summer and fall semester
May 15 for fall admission
September 15 for spring admission
Applicants for the fall semester are encouraged to meet the January 15 application deadline in order to receive admission offers early and to apply for assistantships or campus employment.
Graduate admissions to CECP is a two-part process:
Part A - Application for Graduate Admission
- Application Submission: Complete the on-line Application for Graduate Admission. A printable version of the Application for Graduate Admission is available on the Graduate Admission Web page or call (269) 387-2000 if you need a paper copy mailed to you. Sign the application and submit with $40 payment. (If you complete the paper copy you will need to send two copies to the department.)
- Transcripts: A complete set of transcripts from each college or university you have attended (except WMU).
Send Part A to:
Office of Admissions
1903 W. Michigan Avenue
Western Michigan University
Kalamazoo, MI, 49008-5211
Graduate Admissions will send a letter to domestic students if there is missing information.
Part B: CECP Departmental Application Materials
Department application material submission includes the following: (Forms for items 1-3 below are part of the application materials or you can call (269) 387-5100 for a paper copy.)
- Master's Program Application
- Master's Program Option Choice
- Three recommendations on department forms
- Professional Goals Statement: On no more than two typewritten, double-spaced pages, write an essay discussing your professional goals. Give attention to work with racial/ethnic minorities and diverse populations throughout your essay.
- your reason for wanting to be in a specific program;
- your professional goals as they relate to that program;
- an assessment of your personal assets and liabilities; and
- life experiences that might be useful in your work as a helping professional, including your work with racial/ethnic minorities and diverse populations.
- Resume: On no more than two pages include standard elements of a resume (e.g. educational and paid work experiences, etc.) and identify and clearly label all volunteer human services experiences and starting and ending dates.
Send Part B to:
Department of Counselor Education and Counseling Psychology
1903 West Michigan Ave.
Western Michigan University
Kalamazoo, MI, 49008-5226
Or drop off at 3521 Sangren Hall.
GRE Scores: ARE NOT required as part of the application for admission to a CECP Master's program. GRE scores ARE REQUIRED as part of the application for admission to a CECP doctoral program.
On-Campus Interview: Applicants may be interviewed as a final step in the application process. Update the department regarding any changes of address and/or telephone numbers.
Admission Notification: You should receive your admission correspondence 3-4 weeks after the application deadline.
Doctoral program -- U.S. citizens or legal permanent residents
Doctoral degree application materials must be received by:
January 10 for the counseling psychology doctoral program
February 1 for the counselor education doctoral program