By approval of the WMU Board of Trustees, these student employee pay rates became effective September 3, 2012, and remain in effect until further notice.
|Level||Step 1||Step 2||Step 3||Step 4|
*Q - Request above the scale
*Requests to pay a student employee above the University Guidelines (threshold exceeded) should be based on unique and specific skills needed for the role. Submit a Student Employee Online Transaction through the module in GoWMU, including the suggested rate. You will be contacted by a Career and Student Employment Services representative to determine if the request will be granted.
Student Pay Schedule Guidelines
Job Classification Levels:
- Ability to understand and follow written and verbal instructions, ability to operate basic equipment. Requires no specialized knowledge to perform assigned tasks. Positions at this level receive close supervision.
- Requires application of clearly prescribed standard practices and the ability to work from detailed instructions. Ability to work with data, perform simple analysis and exercise judgment. Errors can be easily and quickly detected and corrected. Previous training or work experience may be required. Positions at this level receive direct supervision.
- Requires the ability to plan and perform operations or to make analysis of facts to determine logical answers. Makes decisions, uses critical thinking skills and job specific knowledge. Requires ability to perform basic office skills or use tools to resolve general problems of technical nature. May require completion of some college coursework, a specific major or set of competencies, specialized skills, or equivalent experience. Positions at this level require some direct supervision.
- Performs a wide variety of duties using judgment in solving problems not covered by instructions. Requires ability to research data and/or uses specialized knowledge to determine alternatives or make recommendations for aiding in solution to problems. May be responsible for instructing other student employees. Likely requires completion of some specialized coursework, training or experience. Students usually receive indirect supervision.
- Independent work, highly skilled. Student is hired as a content expert, works without supervision, and makes independent decisions. Often represents the university beyond campus. (Requires approval for pay rate above University Guidelines).
Job Classification Steps:
New hires are paid at Step 1 of the appropriate level (A-D). Step 2, 3, and 4 represent supervisor options for increasing the pay of returning student employees, or to reward excellence in performance. Change in rate requires submitting a new transaction through the Student Employee Online Transactions.
When a campus-wide rate increase occurs, or the student pay guidelines change, increases for current student employees will be applied automatically by the Department of Human Resources, for employees paid in the A-D levels/1-4 Steps. General fund and fund 42 base budgets will be increased to reflect rate changes. Students currently paid at a rate above Level D/Step 4 will not receive an automatic increase; a separate electronic transaction form will need to be completed by the employing department, Student Employee Online Transactions.