Sponsored by Keystone Community Bank, this series provides an opportunity for the local community to hear top business leaders and Western Michigan University faculty, alumni and friends of the Haworth College of Business discuss current business-related topics. Please join us for any or all events. RSVP to Alyshia Norris at (269) 387-6059 or at wmich.edu/business/keystone-rsvp.
Keystone Community Bank Breakfast Series presentations are available online following each event. If you need help viewing this presentation, contact Cindy Wagner.
- September 27: Andy Murray, head coach, WMU Hockey
Topic: "WMU Hockey" (Video)
- October 25: Sam Field and Connor Field, owners, Helios Solar (Video)
- November 22: Heather Ratliff, wellness coach and nurse, The Wellness RN.
Topic: "Dining Out: Finding a Healthy Place at the Table" (Video)
- January 31: Tamara Homnick, program director, Cheff Therapeutic Riding Center (Video)
- February 28: Troy Thrash, president and CEO, Kalamazoo Air Zoo (Video)
- March 28: President John M. Dunn, Western Michigan University, and Lawrence P. Nolan, chair, Thomas M. Cooley Law School Board of Directors
Topic: "The WMU and Cooley Law School Affiliation" (Video)
- April 25: Tracey Lawie, director of marketing and development, and Bethany Gauthier, assistant director of marketing, Miller Auditorium
Topic: "A Closer Look at Miller Auditorium"
- May 30: Steve Glista and Bea Swedlow, partners, Honigman Business Law Firm
Topic: "Pitfalls of Social Media in Business"
- Sharon Carlson, director of archives and regional history, WMU, discussed the "Legacy Collection Center" on June 28, 2013.
- Bill Rose, president and CEO of the Kalamazoo Nature Center, discussed the "Kalamazoo Nature Center" on May 31, 2013. (Video)
- Dan Gaydou, president of MLive, discussed "Strategies That Win in a Disrupted World" on April 26, 2013. (Video)
- Lisa Garcia, director of WMU Business Connection office, discussed "WMU Business Connection" on March 22, 2013. (Video)
- Hal Jenson, M.D., founding dean, discussed "WMU School of Medicine" on Feb. 22, 2013. (Video)
- Jeanne Hess, Kalamazoo College volleyball coach, discussed "Sportuality" on Jan. 25, 2013. (Video)
- Laurie Montgomery, assistant superintendent of special education and Angela Telfer, director WoodsEdge Learning Center, discussed "WoodsEdge Program/Kalamazoo Regional Educational Service Agency" on Nov. 30, 2012.
- Janice Brown, executive director, Kalamazoo Promise, updated on the Kalamazoo Promise on Oct. 26, 2012. (Video)
- Dan Jaqua, owner, Jaqua Realtors, discussed "Setting the Pace in Today's Real Estate Market" on Sept. 21, 2012. (Video)
- Steven H. Hilfinger, director, Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs. presented "Regulatory Reinvention in Michigan" on June 29, 2012.
- Dr. Robert H. DeWit, president and CEO, Southwest Michigan Innovation Center, on May 25, 2012. (Video)
- Chris Tracy, attorney; Honigman Miller Schwartz and Cohn LLP, discussed "Kalamazoo River Valley Trail: Going Places" on April 27, 2012. (Video)
- Blaine Lam, wwner Lam and Associates; Director, Kalamazoo Marathon, discussed the Kalamazoo Marathon on March 30, 2012.
- Dr. Frank Gambino, director, WMU Food and Consumer Package Goods Marketing Program, dicussed WMU's FMK program and annual conference on Feb. 24, 2012. Presentation Slides
- John Shagonaby, chief executive officer, Gun Lake Tribal Gaming Authority, discussed the Gun Lake Casino in Wayland, Michigan on Jan. 27, 2012.
- Steve Hawkins, head coach, presented "WMU Bronco Basketball" on Dec. 2, 2011. (Video)
- Hon. William Schma, president of the board of directors for the Drug Treatment Court Foundation of Kalamazoo County, discussed "Drug Treatment Course: Smarter Justice" on Oct. 28, 2011. (Video)
- Bob Miller, WMU associate vice president for community outreach presented "An Update on East Campus" on Sept. 30, 2011.
- Ron Kitchens, CEO, Southwest Michigan First, discussed "Local and State Economic Update" on May 27, 2011.
- Greg Ayers, president, Kalamazoo County Convention and Visitors Bureau, discussed "Promoting Kalamazoo a a Visitor Destination on April 29, 2011. (Video)
- Ron Winter, an official with the National Football League, discussed "Inside the NFL's Third Team on the Field" on March 29, 2011. (Video)
- Tamara Davis, director of the Michigan Small Business and Technology Development Center for southwest Michigan, discussed "Tapping into Resources for the Entrepreneur" on Feb. 25, 2011. (Video)
Neil Bremer, executive director of the Kalamazoo Arts Council, discussed "Enough Already" on Jan. 28, 2011.
Dr. Jack Luderer, Western Michigan University's interim dean of the WMU School of Medicine, discussed "WMU's School of Medicine-Moving Forward" on Dec. 3, 2010.
- Jason Kehrer, chief problem solver at The Image Group, discussed "Leveraging Social Media for Business" on Oct. 29, 2010.
Dr. Kay Palan, dean of Western Michigan University Haworth College of Business, discussed "Business Education: Moving Forward While Meeting Today's Challenges" on Sept. 24, 2010.
Tim Terrentine, B.S.'04, M.S.'06, executive director of douglass community association, discussed "Empowering Community, One Partnership at a Time" on April 23, 2010.
Michael Newman, B.B.A.'73, president/managing director of Michigan Aggregates Association and affiliated MAA Foundation, discussed "Transportation and Infastructure Funding in Michigan – The Stimulus Impact and Future" on March 28, 2010.
Sheldon L. Stone, B.S.'78, M.A.'79, partner of Amherst Partners and a nationally known author and speaker on the economy, automotive industry and corporate restructuring, discussed "Strategic Corporate Restructuring: 2010 and Beyond" on Feb. 26, 2010.
Tim Welke, Major League Baseball umpire and crew chief, and Bill Welke, Major League Baseball umpire, discussed "The Business of Blue (Baseball Umpiring)" on Feb. 5, 2010.
Dawn VanderPloeg, director of adult day services at Oakland Centre, and Laura Latiolais, director of community relations and development, discussed "Helping the Community Care for its Elders: Adult Day Services at Oakland Centre" on Dec. 4, 2009.
- John W. Allen, partner at Varnum LLP, discussed "Coming Soon to a Ballot Near You – The Michigan Constitution Convention: Opportunity in Reconstructure or Pandora's Box" on Oct. 30, 2009.
Dr. Timothy Greene, provost and vice president of academic affairs, discussed "WMU – Providing Higher Education Leadership" on Oct. 2, 2009.
- Amy Knapp, president and owner of Calendar Systems USA, discussed "Advantages of Operating a Small Business During Difficult Economic Times" on May 29, 2009.
- Bob Miller, WMU’s associate vice president for community outreach, "A Community Success Story" on April 24, 2009.
- Cathy McNulty, chief executive officer of the Greater Kalamazoo Area Chapter of the American Red Cross, presented “Your American Red Cross Today" on March 27, 2009.
- Rebecca Pierce, editor of the Kalamazoo Gazette, presented "For Those of You Who Can't Read" on Feb. 27, 2009.
- Juan Olivarez, president and chief executive officer of the Kalamazoo Community Foundation, presented “Reach Higher, America; Reach Higher, Kalamazoo-Overcoming the literacy crisis” on Jan. 30, 2009.
- Steve Taplin, president of Terra Contracting, discussed "Environmental Contracting – A Local and National View" on Oct. 31, 2008.
- Cliff Moshoginis, director of the Kalamazoo/Battle Creek International Airport, discussed "The Current Happenings and Future Plans of the Kalamazoo/Battle Creek International Airport" on Sept. 26, 2008.
- Dr. Christopher Korth, professor of finance and commercial law, Haworth College of Business, discussed "Sensible Tax Reform-Fair, Simple and Effective" on May 30, 2008.
- Fran Denny, executive director, Catholic Family Services, Kalamazoo, presented The Ark: Somewhere to Run" on April 25, 2008.
- Dr. Michael F. Rice, superintendent of the Kalamazoo Public Schools, discussed "Kalamazoo Public Schools: The Transformation of an Urban Public School District" on March 28, 2008.
- T. Jefferson (Jeff) Murphy, Mediation Services of Southwest Michigan, discussed "Mediation, Not Litigation: You mean, I don't have to go to court?" on Feb. 29, 2008.
- Robert Jorth, executive administrator, Kalamazoo Promise, presented "Kalamazoo Promise: Where We Started, Where We Are" on Jan. 25, 2008.
- Dale Shugars, executive officer of The Home Builders Association of Greater Kalamazoo, presented "Building Homes-Strengthening Communities" on Nov. 30, 2007.
- Jill Hess, vice president for organization and program development, Heritage Community of Kalamazoo, presented "Got KNACK? A Workforce Development Initiative for Building a Culture of Excellence in Memory Care" on Oct. 26, 2007.
- Dr. John Dunn, president, Western Michigan University, discussed "The Western Edge" on Sept. 21, 2007.
- Ken Miller, chief operating officer, Havirco, presented "Process + Politics = Precedence" on May 25, 2007.
- Frank J. Sardone, president and chief executive officer, Bronson Healthcare Group, presented "Achieving Business Excellence the Baldrige Way" on April 27, 2007.
- Coleman Long, CFA, senior research analyst and vice president with Greenleaf Traust of Kalamazoo, presented "Is Socially Responsible Investing Right for You? The Risks and Rewards of Integrating Your Values into Your Wealth Management Plan" on March 30, 2007.
- Jim Kneen, president and chief executive officer of Heritage Community of Kalamazoo, presented "Older and Better" on Feb. 23, 2007.
- Thomas Beech, president and chief executive officer of the Fetzer Institute in Kalamazoo, presented "The Fetzer Institute's Work on Love and Forgiveness: Fluff or Substance" on Jan. 17, 2007.
- Bob Miller, WMU associate vice president for community outreach, presented "The BTR Park and the Downtown Science Center... a Community Success Story and Vision for the Future" on Dec. 1, 2006.
- Frank Weichlein, director of the Kalamazoo County Juvenile Home, presented "Our Community's Kids, A Juvenile Justice Perspective—Present and Future" on Oct. 27, 2006.
- David Shields, dean of the Haworth College of Business, presented "A New Vision for the Haworth College of Business" on Sept. 29, 2006.
Previous speakers include-
- Greg DeHaan, senior vice president of Allen Edwin Homes
- Kalamazoo County Sheriff Michael J. Anderson
- Dr. Randall W. Eberts, executive director of the W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research
- Maurice Hovious, president of Hov-Aire, Inc.
- Robert L. Jansen, Jansen Valk Thompson Reahm P.C.
- William Johnston, president, director and chair of Greenleaf Companies
- Captain Wayne K. Kruger, deputy director and chief financial officer of the Kalamazoo Air Zoo
- Joshua Weiner, chief executive officer of Meyer C. Weiner Company