Short-term loans are available on a limited basis for books at the beginning of each term, or for emergency situations throughout the term (considered on an individual basis). To apply for a short term loan, please see a student services representative at Bronco Express in the Bernhard Center.
- Registered for classes for the term
- Not available for WMU employees
- No past due charges on billing account
- WMU account is not and has never been in collection
- No outstanding "non-sufficient funds" (NSF) checks
- No history of three or more NSF checks
- Not in default on a federal loan
- No monetary registration hold
- The loan must be for books or related educational expenses (see Books/Emergency below.)
- If "current balance due" is not zero, financial aid for the current term is pending and the student meets the criteria listed below:
- Financial aid pending for current term must be sufficient to cover current balance due
- All requested financial aid documents have been submitted
- If receiving a federal direct student loan - need signed master promissory note and entrance counseling completed
- If receiving a federal perkins loan need signed master promissory note
- If receiving a federal direct parent loan - need signed master promissory note, approved credit check and authorization by the parent that short-term loan may be paid by the PLUS
- Meet the enrollment requirements for programs awarded.
- Meet the satisfactory academic progress requirements for financial aid purposes
- You may receive up to $500 or the cost of books (whichever is less) if the:
- Student has not received a recent refund and
- Pending aid is enough to cover balances owed as well as book loan amount.
- Up to $500 if
- account balance is paid in full or
- if current term's financial aid is pending and it is sufficient to cover balance owed.
- Individual circumstances considered if you still owe a balance for current term
- Need documentation of bills owed (eviction notice, shut-off notice, etc.)
- Funds requested are for education-related expenses (rent eviction notice, medical, utilities shut-off notice, transportation repairs, food or child care)
- Loans are not approved for credit card bills, long distance telephone charges or cable television
- Checks are issued to the vendor and the student; available in 24 hours at Bronco Express in the Bernhard Center
- For extenuating circumstances only. Not intended for repeated use.
- Loans are generally due in 30 days but no later than the last day of your enrollment for the academic year.
- If not paid by the due date, will incur a service charge at 1.5 percent a month on the unpaid balance.
- Delinquency in the repayment of a short-term loan will prevent future registration or release of transcripts
To check the status of your financial aid, view your bill, register for classes, to view your award letter, and announcements log onto the GOWMU portal!
Apply for 2013-14 financial aid. Federal School Code is 002330
To view all of your Federal Loan history visit the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS)
Student Financial Aid is on Facebook
! Keep up with financial aid the easy way. Fan our page and keep up with everything related to financial aid at WMU. Get fast and easy updates today!