Arts and Sciences International Study Scholarship
As part of its commitment to increase access to international education, the College of Arts and Sciences at Western Michigan University invites qualified undergraduates to apply for funds to help support their study abroad experience.
- Up to $1,000 may be awarded based on length of study, need and merit
- The number of qualified applicants and the availability of funds will determine how many awards are made
- This award will be applied directly to the student’s WMU account and as such may impact financial aid
- Award recipients agree to provide a 1-2 page written testimonial containing at least one photograph at the completion of their study abroad experience. Testimonials may be used in College of Arts and Sciences promotional materials
- Award recipients should be willing to be called upon to share their study abroad experiences with other WMU students
All awards are subject to final budgetary approval and authorization by the College of Arts and Sciences dean's office.
Oct. 15—for study abroad over the holiday closure or spring semester
Feb. 15—for study abroad in summer I, summer II or fall semesters
- Applicants will be notified of the results within six weeks of the application deadline date
- No late applications will be considered
To be eligible for this award, you must:
- Plan to complete a study abroad or international internship
- Be a WMU undergraduate in good standing
- Have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0
- Be enrolled during the term for which funds have been requested
- Have a declared major within WMU’s College of Arts and Sciences
- Have completed or be enrolled in at least nine credit hours within the College
Submit the following materials by the deadline. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
- Completed and signed student application form
- A 1-2 page personal statement prepared as described in the application form
- Completed and signed faculty sponsor form
- Program budget: Must be an official budget from the study abroad program’s online brochure, available through Broncos Abroad. Contact a study abroad specialist at (269) 387-5890 with any questions about locating the correct budget
- An up-to-date unofficial transcript (may be printed from GoWMU)
College of Arts and Sciences Office of the Dean:
Submit application as a single PDF, putting the title of the award (Arts and Sciences International Study Award) and applicant name in the subject line of the email. Emails from WMU accounts may serve in place of signatures.
Please do not hesitate to contact the College of Arts and Sciences dean's office with any questions or concerns.