The College of Arts and Sciences Diversity and Inclusion Committee announces a Diversity and Inclusion Composition Award. This award will be given to one undergraduate and one graduate student who have completed coursework in the CAS.
- Currently enrolled Western Michigan University undergraduate or graduate student.
- Student has composed and submitted an original composition for grade in a College of Arts and Science course during the spring 2012 or fall 2012 semester. Such examples may include an essay, fiction/nonfiction, poetry, documentary, or other academic/creative work.
- Composition demonstrates excellence in themes related to diversity and inclusion. “Themes of diversity and inclusion involve the dimensions of race, ethnicity, and national and regional origins; sex, gender identity, and sexual orientation; socioeconomic status, age, physical attributes, and abilities; as well as religious, political, cultural, and intellectual ideologies and practices” (Western Michigan University’s Diversity and Multiculturalism Action Plan).
The prize is $500 for an undergraduate student and $500 for a graduate student. Entries are judged on their relevance to diversity and inclusion and on the overall quality of the composition.
Thursday, Jan. 31, 2013
Applicants should submit the following:
- Verification from the instructor for whom the applicant completed the appropriate work (may be a simple written, signed note or email from the instructor’s WMU Webmail account)
- A PDF document of the composition if composed in essayistic or print form
- A flash drive, hyperlink to, or dvd of the composition for non-traditional formats
College of Arts and Sciences Dean's Office
2304 Friedmann Hall
or to Lauren Carney at firstname.lastname@example.org