The College of Arts and Sciences Diversity and Inclusion Committee announces a Diversity and Inclusion Composition Award. This award will be given to one undergraduate and one graduate student who has completed coursework in the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Composition demonstrates excellence in themes related to diversity and inclusion. “Themes of diversity and inclusion involve the dimensions of race, ethnicity, and national and regional origins; sex, gender identity, and sexual orientation; socioeconomic status, age, physical attributes, and abilities; as well as religious, political, cultural, and intellectual ideologies and practices” (Western Michigan University’s Diversity and Multiculturalism Action Plan).
- Currently enrolled Western Michigan University undergraduate or graduate student.
- Student has composed and submitted an original composition for grade in a College of Arts and Science course during the spring 2013 or fall 2013 semester. Such examples may include an essay, fiction/nonfiction, poetry, documentary, or other academic/creative work.
The prize is $500 for an undergraduate student and $500 for a graduate student. Entries are judged on their relevance to diversity and inclusion and on the overall quality of the composition. All awards are subject to final budgetary approval and authorization by the dean.
This award will be offered for the deadline listed as long as funds are available.
Applicants should submit the following:
- Application form
- Flash drive, hyperlink to, or dvd of the composition for non-traditional formats
- PDF document of the composition if composed in essayistic or print form
- Verification from the instructor for whom the applicant completed the appropriate work (may be a simple, signed note, an email from the instructor’s WMU Webmail account, or a completed instructor verification form)
College of Arts and Sciences Dean's Office
2304 Friedmann Hall, Mail Stop 5308
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5308