The Diversity and Inclusion Faculty and Staff Recognition Award is meant to recognize the commitment of College of Arts and Sciences faculty and staff to diversity and inclusion.
All current, continuing board-appointed persons with faculty rank, and all college staff employees are eligible.
One award of $1000 will be given to a faculty member and one award of $1000 will be given to a staff member. Awardees will be invited to attend the college faculty and staff award ceremony during the spring semester.
- A substantial part of the record of achievement shall have been accomplished as a CAS staff or faculty member at Western Michigan University.
- The award will usually be based on an accumulated record of achievement in diversity and inclusion, rather than a single act of service, project or event.
- The faculty award will be based on an exemplary commitment to diversity and inclusion*, as expressed through research and creative activity; teaching, mentoring, or curriculum transformation; professional service; and/or a combination of achievements in these areas.
- The staff award will be based on exemplary service to diversity and inclusion, which may include service to the University, local community and beyond.
All awards are subject to final budgetary approval and authorization by the dean of the College.
*"Diversity at WMU encompasses inclusion, acceptance, respect, and empowerment. This means understanding that each individual is unique and that our commonalities and differences make the contributions we have to offer all the more valuable. Diversity includes the dimensions of race, ethnicity, and national and regional origins; sex, gender identity, and sexual orientation; socioeconomic status, age, physical attributes, and abilities; as well as religious, political, cultural, and intellectual ideologies and practices" (Diversity and Multiculturalism Action Plan).
This award will be offered for the deadline listed as long as funds are available.
Nominations should include:
- Faculty member's up-to-date CV
- Nominator's supporting statement addressing the selection criteria for this award and a brief statement of the nominee's accomplishments and evidence of success in diversity and inclusion
- Samples related to diversity and inclusion activity may be included
- Two or more sponsoring letters (in addition to the statement by the nominator) addressing the selection criteria for this award
2304 Friedmann Hall, Mail Stop 5308
Contact Lauren Carney.