The College of Arts and Sciences is the largest of the academic colleges at Western Michigan University. The college:
- Delivers about one half of the total WMU student credit hours.
- Holds appointments for 330 faculty.
- Has more than 5,000 undergraduates with approximately 55 percent women and 10 percent minorities.
- Enrolls more than 1,200 graduate students with approximately 50 percent women and 10 percent minorities.
The college's activities support its vision to:
- Create a challenging and intellectually vital learning community.
- Engage students and faculty alike in a continuing discourse.
- Provide a focus for being active, informed, productive, creative, open-minded, and ethically responsible citizens in a complex, multicultural, and rapidly changing world.
The College of Arts and Sciences cultivates engaged, global citizenship by:
- Providing high quality education in the liberal arts—bridging the humanities, social sciences and natural sciences.
- Creating, discovering and disseminating scientific, humanistic and artistic knowledge and expression.
- Fostering intellectual engagement and continuous discovery and learning.
The college has approximately 330 tenure-track faculty in 26 departmental units. Each department, school, interdisciplinary program, institute and center has staff, term appointments and part-time faculty. WMU People Search has email and addresses for many of these individuals.