Increasing the impact of discovery and dissemination is one of six key objectives in the Western Michigan University College of Arts and Sciences Strategic Plan. As a step in realizing the plan, this award supports the development and promulgation of faculty research and creative activity projects and teaching innovations. The goal is to provide limited financial assistance to be combined with additional funding sources.
- Funds are limited to $1200 per faculty member or department chair per year (i.e., in a 12 month period)
- Preference will be given to quality proposals that have identified additional funding sources and that demonstrate consistency with the objectives and values of the College of Arts and Sciences Strategic Plan
- Research and creative activity support may be provided for seed projects in preparation for external funding or in areas where no other sources of funding are available
- Priority will be given to the development of future projects over reimbursements for previous plans; requests solely for conference travel will be deemed lower priority
- No more than $900 of the $1200 may be used toward travel expenses such as flight, hotel and meals
- Funds must be used in accordance with University procedures and for the purpose for which they were awarded
- To remain eligible for a subsequent award, recipients must submit a brief final report that includes a summary of what was accomplished during the grant period and a description of what, if any, external grants, publications, presentations, or other scholarly/creative works resulted. Reports for fall awards are due by May 1; reports for spring awards are due by December 1.
All awards are subject to final budgetary approval and authorization by the dean of the College.
Funds are not meant:
- For routine computer upgrading or the purchase of classroom equipment
- To supplant support from the department or the University's Faculty Research and Travel Fund
Feb. 1 and Sept. 30
This award will be offered for the deadlines listed as long as funds are available.
Faculty should make sure that both the complete application form and the chair’s portion are returned to the College of Arts and Sciences Office of the Dean by the deadline. Late submissions will not be considered.
2304 Friedmann Hall, Mail Stop 5308