To enroll yourself or a loved one in WMU Senior Day Services, please contact Liza Rouse at (269) 553-3370 to schedule a tour or enrollment appointment.
One of the following conditions must be met for eligibility to attend Western Michigan University Senior Day Services:
- Adults age 60 or older, unless other conditions are present, such as early onset dementia.
- Adults with physical and/or cognitive impairments requiring assistance with activities of daily living and a supervised environment for safety, orientation, behavioral support and reinforcement of the rehabilitative process.
- Adults with chronic health problem that requires frequent medical monitoring. Decisions will be made on a case-by-case basis, depending on special considerations required for the condition, as determined by a nursing assessment.
Additional requirements for participation:
- Applicant must be under the care of a physician, have a physician’s order for service and have had a medical examination within the past six months, including a TB skin test or chest x-ray.
- Applicant must have a primary caregiver or other support system to assure attendance at program.
- Applicant must be responsible for payment or have a sponsor.
- There must be a reasonable expectation that the applicant will be able to participate in and benefit from the offered activities and/or socialization opportunities.
After meeting the above criteria, an intake assessment will be scheduled and the participant, designated power of attorney or guardian will be requested to complete and return the enrollment and consent forms.
Those who would be ineligible for admission to Senior Day Services:
- Applicant or responsible party refuses to be a part of the program.
- Applicant is bedridden or has such limited stamina that he or she is not able to participate in group activities for at least part of the day.
- Applicant has infectious or communicable disease that may jeopardize the health of other participants.
- Applicant refuses to be under the care of a physician.
- Applicants who are actively alcohol or substance addicted, including tobacco.
- Applicant with a medical condition that requires nursing care that exceeds the capabilities of the program staff, to be decided on a case-by-case basis.
Those found to be ineligible for admission:
- Will be notified of ineligibility and informed of reasons.
- Will be informed of conditions under which eligibility can be reached.
- Will be given recommendations of options where individual can be more effectively served.
Eligibility will be periodically re-evaluated to assure that participant continues to benefit from adult day program.