Congratulations on your admission to Western Michigan University! Here is a list of steps to prepare for your enrollment at WMU.
Admitted student checklist
Learn more about WMU
Review your admissions package
- Review your credit evaluation. This important document will show how your courses transfer to WMU. Be prepared to bring your credit evaluation with you to your meeting with your academic advisor.
- Read “Transfer Notes” to find contact information for university resources and answers to commonly asked questions.
- Access your student account and webmail. Look for your BroncoNet ID and password enclosed within your acceptance letter and visit GoWMU to log in and change your password. Remember to check your WMU email often for important communication from WMU.
- Send $100 Admission Confirmation Deposit (preferably before May 1). This fee confirms your enrollment and is applied to your fall semester tuition. Visit our Admission Confirmation Deposit instruction website for more information.
Make an advising appointment and register for classes
- Make an advising appointment with an academic advisor in your major area of study. Your advisor will discuss major specific information that you need to know and will assist you in selecting classes. They will also explain the steps you must complete for online class registration. Visit our directory of advising contacts to find your academic advisor.
- Register for classes. Registration for the fall semester begins in mid-March and in mid-October for the spring semester. Your registration date will be based on the number of credit hours you have transferred, so make sure that you have sent your most recent, updated transcript to WMU. Registration can be done in the student tab on GoWMU. Simply click “Register for Classes” and follow the onscreen prompts. Your advisor can show you how to navigate this process during your advising appointment.
Pay for college
- Tuition is due the first day of the semester, not at the time of registration. A semester invoice is sent to all students who are registered for classes approximately one month prior to the beginning of the semester. The semester invoice will include the tuition, fees, room and board, pending financial aid, and class schedule for the semester.
- Print the WMU Student Financial Aid Application Checklist for your reference.
- Update or complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible after January 1.
- Review the deadlines and requirements to be considered for scholarships.
Register for housing
Sign up for orientation
- Our Transfer Transition Program registration begins February 3 for students entering in the fall semester. This transfer student orientation is a great way to ensure a smooth transition to WMU.
- Review our online orientation resource in GoWMU to become acquainted with campus resources and information.
Send final transcripts
- Request a final transcript to be sent from your college to the WMU Admissions Office upon completion of your course work. This is an important step as it can affect your ability to register for future terms and may also affect your financial aid.
Parking pass and student ID
- Visit the parking services office to obtain a WMU parking pass.
- Once registered for classes you can visit the WMU Card Center in the Bernhard Center to get your picture taken and receive your student ID.
Next Steps newsletter
The Next Steps Newsletter contains valuable information for newly admitted transfer students and their families. Click on an issue below to view or print the newsletter.