Multicultural Leader Scholarship Program
The Multicultural Leader Scholarship (MLS) program is a scholarship opportunity for students from select high schools. Qualifying students are invited to WMU to compete for one of approximately 50 MLS awards, each totaling $16,000 ($4,000 per year for four years). Students who participate in the competition but are not awarded the MLS will be awarded the Diversity Scholarship, a one-time $1,000 award.
To qualify to compete for the MLS, a student must meet the following criteria:
- First-time, domestic, undergraduate degree seeking student from a selected high school, entering WMU fall 2014.
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) at the end of the junior year.
- ACT composite score of 18 or higher, or SAT combined score (math + critical reading) of 860 or higher
- Complete admission application file (application, high school transcript, ACT/SAT scores and the $40 application fee) received in the Office of Admissions by Feb. 7, 2014
- Must be admissible to WMU
The MLS competition will be held on Saturday, Feb. 22, 2014.
- 8 - 8:45 a.m.
Check-in at the Bernhard Center, WMU Main Campus.
- 9 - 9:30 a.m.
- 9:30 a.m. - 1:05 p.m.
Students: Competition (essay writing, group problem solving activity, student panel, diversity and inclusion presentation)
- 1:05 p.m.
Lunch with WMU students, faculty and staff
Meet WMU departments and student services
Optional tours: Campus, Residence Halls, Multicultural Affairs
MLS recipients will automatically become part of the Martin Luther King Jr. Academy which offers academic and social support. The MLK Academy also encourages students to be active in diversity and multiculturalism on campus as well as in the Kalamazoo community.