Order of Omega: Beta Kappa Chapter
Order of Omega is a leadership honor society for fraternity/sorority members. Order of Omega
recognizes juniors and seniors who have exemplified high standards in the areas of scholarship, leadership,
involvement within their respective organization and within the fraternity/sorority, campus, and local communities.
Members are selected from the top 3% of students at each institution. To date, over 500 chapters have been
chartered throughout North America, each sharing the common goal of recognizing the many outstanding student
leaders at their institution.
Beta Kappa Chapter was chartered on April 11, 1978. Its most prominent annual program is Standards
of Excellence, a program designed to recognize chapters for commitment to fraternal values and community standards.
This program is held each spring. Order of Omega is a non-hazing, non-pledging organization.
BETA KAPPA DOCUMENTS
STANDARDS OF EXCELLENCE 2014
The Order of Omega, Beta Kappa Chapter, will be hosting its most prominent annual program,
the Standards of Excellence Awards. This program is designed to recognize all WMU Chapters for
their continuous commitment to fraternal values and community standards.
All required materials can be found here:
Chapter President’s Letter
Standards of Excellence 2015 Award Packet
Please take note of the changes to this year’s packet and the schedule of events listed below.
A more detailed description of these events can be found on page 2 of the Standards of
Excellence Information Packet.
Schedule of Events:
- Tuesday, January 13, 2015 There will be an SOE Packet Workshop for anyone interested. It will take place
from 8:30-9:30 p.m. in room 106 of the Bernhard Center. Order of Omega Executive Board officers will be
present to answer questions and help with packets and presentations.
- Friday, January 30, 2015 Packets are due by 5 p.m. to the Student Organization Center in the Bernhard Center.
Packets can also be emailed to RSO-OmegaSOE@wmich.edu.
Chapter Presentations and Greek Man/Woman candidates will sign-up for interview times.
- Thursday, February 5, 2015 There will be an SOE Presentation Workshop for anyone interested. It will take
place from 3-5 p.m. in the Student Organization Center. Order of Omega Executive Board officers will
be present to answer questions and help with presentations.
- Sunday, February 8, 2015 Chapter presentations and individual interviews will take place starting at 11 a.m.
in rooms 157, 156 and 159 of the Bernhard Center. Presentations and questions will be a maximum of 15 minutes per chapter.
- Sunday, February 22, 2015 Awards Ceremony will take place at the Bernhard Center from 1-3 p.m..
BETA KAPPA CONTACT INFORMATION
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- What are the qualifications for membership in Order of Omega? Interested students must be of junior or senior standing, have a minimum GPA above the All-Greek GPA, and exemplify the core values of the organization: scholarship, leadership, and service.
- What does it cost to be a member of Order of Omega? Each student pays a one-time initiation fee of $50, which is sent to the national headquarters office for a membership certificate and badge. A local chapter might have their own dues, which would be paid on a semesterly or annual basis.
- What are the benefits of being a member of Order of Omega? Membership has a different value for each member. In addition to recognizing academic achievement, Order of Omega allows members of a campus community to unite under common values. Local chapters might coordinate programs for members, and scholarships are available through the national body. Graduates can also purchase cords to wear in a commencement ceremony, marking their membership in Order of Omega.